Sunday, September 5, 2021

Darker than I can stand

The Darkest Thread
by Jen Blood

Good title. She seeks out the darkest of the dark and adds little touches here and there to make it even darker. It's not enough for a dog to be "rescued" it has to be "rescued from the needle". It's not enough for girls to be murdered, they have to be drugged, raped, and tortured. And tied together in pairs. And what really got me down was her brief description of a particular rescue dog's backstory. I know horrible things happen, but seriously--the kind of people who are reading this book already know about them and don't need them shoved in their faces.

Don't read this before bedtime, and if you have an active imagination, you may not want to read it at all. I'm all for a good serial killer story, but in this case it just seems like the author is going to search out the evil threads of human behavior and load up the story with agony.

The ending was good and the mystery was thrilling, and the supernatural aspect very good. Once I got my protective shield in place, I enjoyed this very much. But I'm not sure I can handle another one.

No comments: