Sunday, September 26, 2021

Mammoth Goes to Colorado

 Monday, September 6

Home to Big Texas RV Ranch in Amarillo
Planned time 5:52  (356 miles)
Actual:  6:07
Stops: 15-minute gas stop in Memphis, TX



So this is the big one--so far.  All the way to Colorado. It was supposed to be the New Mexico Trip but I couldn't find suitably scenic campgrounds in New Mexico that had electricity and water. So I sprung for the hideously expensive campgrounds in Colorado. I hope that works.


First stop, Amarillo. The drive was long but not hard. We went out 380 to Denton, took the truck route loop around the city, and on to Decatur. Somewhere we hit US-287 to Wichita Falls and on to Amarillo. We hopped on I-40 and off again immediately, We were there!

Sadly, I had us get off the highway two exits too soon, and after going through an unnecessary traffic signal, we got back on again and were forced to bypass the road that went over to the park and circle back. But that wasn't too bad. The Big Texan RV Park, just a few minutes down the road from The Big Texan Restaurant, was very nice. The sites were clean and pretty large for a private RV park. Our site was pull-through so we didn't have to unhook the Jeep if we didn't want to.  There were three fenced dog runs, mostly empty most of the time. And nice neighbors.

The park

 


 



After a quick hookup and dog walk, I spent a little time on the phone and then it was time to go eat. Big mistake there. We chose not to do delivery or take the 6-minute limousine ride to the restaurant because we were too cheap to tip the deliveryman/driver, so we unhooked the Jeep and drove ourselves over. It was a 30-minute wait!  By the time we were seated, it was nearly six o'clock. If we'd gone earlier--after only the short dog run--we might have missed the crowd and ended up with a faster meal.  [thebear]   [bigtexan]


Of course, at a steak house restaurant there was nothing fit for me to eat. Ninety percent of the menu was CAFO (aka tortured) beef. I could have paid $21 for the fried fish, which probably would have been tilapia from China, but it just didn't seem worthwhile. So I ate the fried chicken with gravy and it wasn't very good. However, the salad was excellent. Just the usual steakhouse iceberg lettuce and carrots, but fresh.
[notsogoodfood]


No matter. We weren't eating there to please me. But in future at a steak house, I'll go back to my standard fare of side dishes or fried fish. If I'm going to eat meat from a CAFO, it needs to be good-tasting meat.



No comments: