Monday, March 7, 2022

Glad it was a library book

 When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
Chödrön, Pema

My reaction is hard to explain. I was disappointed in this, but really it was full of good advice and explanations of how and why to meditate and get past bad feelings in your life. The author skipped around a little, it seemed--I'd take in one sentence and then find the next sentence in the same paragraph didn't flow at all. But this happened less and less as I grew accustomed to her style of writing.

She's an abbot of a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery, so her examples are mostly from the Buddhist tradition. But applicable to all.

I think my disappointment was due to incorrect expectations. If I'd known it was mainly going to be a brief, high-level overview into the Buddhist approach to life's journey, I'd have gotten what I expected and been happy. But it left me wanting a guidebook. The suggestions were great but the details of how to practice the various meditations and exercises were sketchy. Maybe she could write a workbook...?


No comments: