Thursday, March 24, 2022

Long awaited and wish I hadn't

 People We Meet On Vacation
by Emily Henry


I give up, about one-third to one-half way through the audiobook. I'm a little mad that I wasted an Audible credit on it. I don't want to be mean or to insult the judgement of all the people who loved and recommended this, but for me, it "failed to meet my specifications."

After I began to realize I just wasn't feeling the love, I began to be irritated. It's got nothing to do with vacations, other than as a boring backdrop to a plain and simple love story with no side-plots, no interesting destinations, and apparently no other characters than the "friends" who are probably going to be lovers at some point. Basically, I was bored. And when I began to realize that, I noticed that she uses the words "I" and "Alex" in pretty much every sentence except the ones that are dialog, and of course the dialog is always spoken by either "I" or "Alex".  The dialog was amusing at first but soon became very repetitive. Anything that wasn't dialog was thoughts in the woman's head, which reminded me of my own head when it gets stuck on endless repeat and I can't wait to get out of it.

All complaints aside, the writing is pretty good. I could see someone liking it. But I didn't.


No comments: