Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Just a memoir...nothing special

 Burnt Toast Makes You Sing Good

by Kathleen Flinn

This is sort of an autobiographical memoir with recipes. Very much like what I'd like to write someday, although I suspect mine wouldn't be as varied and amusing. Her family did a lot of fun stuff, moving across the country in search of livelihood and then moving back; working at a restaurant; eating wild-harvested foods and a lot of dried beans for a while and having a lot of fun doing it.

I enjoyed the memoir very much. Nothing really dark happened and a lot of fun and funny things occurred, but for reasons I didn't exactly grasp it got boring about two-thirds along. I stuck it out and am glad I did, but I'm not sure what was missing--I think it was a certain lack of dramatic tension to pull me along. It was just...life.

But the recipes look great. Mostly plain home cooking, like cinnamon rolls--which I'm going to try.

No comments: