Monday, May 9, 2022

Mammoth Goes to a Birthday Party, Park 2

Sunday 5/1

Again, slow day with the kids. Forgot to mention that on the day before a noise of crows alerted us to something interesting hiding out in the little cave in the bluff across the river. I put the spotting scope on and discovered it was an owl. Or two. Funny that I've never heard an owl here, so possible they decided to move later. All I know is that in the morning I saw an owl stretching out its wings and it looked like a light-colored barred owl, but all afternoon an owl snoozed there and it looked like a great-horned owl. So I dunno.

Random shot of cliffs



Bird list for the trip: Mississippi Kites, Cliff Swallows, vultures, chickadees, titmice, blue-gray gnatcatcher, painted bunting, Bewick's wren, Canyon Wren. There were probably warblers passing through, but I never saw them.



Monday 5/2

Nothing to report; not a great day. But we did the birthday thing and that was what we came for.

Bees really liked this flower

 

 

 

 

Tuesday 5/3

One thing of note for our future drives. I-35 East isn't all that bad these days. Going through West was really bad; then Waxahatchie wasn't all that great. But the great big huge mess at the south end of Dallas was pretty much cleaned up--the road was rough, but we said through pretty well. The whole trip only took about three hours.

We didn't stop for gas, which would have skewed our time a little.  The only thing to watch out for, and avoid during rush hours at all costs, is the point where you merge into the tollway/35E road from the right and then have to get across three lanes of traffic to exit on the left to 75 North Central Expressway.  Or maybe that's left/right--I don't remember.  I just know that in past endeavors when I was coming back from downtown hotels, I was completely unable to make the exit. We did it okay. This time.




No comments: