Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Great K9 mystery series, but there's only one more!

Repent
by Bev Pettersen

Second for me in a series, and I'll definitely go for a third. With her dog recovering from injuries, the detective has to go it alone. Except, of course, for her many friends and contacts and family in the neighborhood.

My only complaint was the splitting of the action between Nikki (the detective) and the kidnapped teen. I realize she had to do it in order to tell a good story, and she did it well, building up the suspense from both sides at once. The only place where I felt she missed a beat was at the ending, when she jumped a little too quickly when another few pages would have made it rising suspense--and action scene--better.

Other than that, very good and more to come.



Sunsets, Smoke and Suspicion (Dune House series)

I'm reviewing this only to remind myself that I didn't like it at all. She introduced so much stuff and people in the first four very short chapters that my head spun. And they were all featureless, if you know what I mean. Can't an author dwell on a place and people just a little bit, starting out--instead of rushing into mayhem first thing?

No comments: