Monday, August 7, 2023

Still catching up; nothing exciting

 Aunt Dimity and the Duke
by Nancy Atherton


Weirdly derivative of the first one, Aunt Dimity's Death. But this one had no direct communications between the ghostly Aunt Dimity and any of the players--at least, none that we could see. People spoke of being directed by her or advised by her, but we never "saw" her.

It was a pretty good mystery all the same, just a slight bit disappointing. I didn't guess the who-done-it until pretty late in the game, but there was still plenty more to come in the last few chapters. Enjoyable...but do I want another? They're available at the library, so maybe yes.



Fierce as the Wind
by Tara Wilson Redd

Although it was scanty, I found this YA very enjoyable. I never really felt like I knew anyone except the main, and even she seemed a bit unknowable at times. You'd think that if a person is struggling to recover from an unhappy experience, and forget it, then the narrative would show that struggle and recovery. But she seemed suffering up until the end.

I hope that's not telling too much. But I could see someone disagreeing with my feelings about this and telling a completely different story. So that's my opinion and you can disregard it at will.

But it's not something I'd read again, if I were a teen, or even look for anything else by the author. The running/biking/swimming parts were good, though.

No comments: