Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 9 of Dog - regression and all my fault

Back to the poop, but not nearly as much of it. I cleaned a small patty this morning and again this evening.

I messed up a little myself--you're not supposed to reprove a timid dog, but today, right after she ate, I caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye and I thought she was squatting. On second thought she may have just been getting ready to get a drink--but I overreacted. I jumped up and said No--not loud--but loud enough to scare her.

The rest of the evening went as normal and no rain tonight, thank heavens. She's outside now for her required one hour after dinner. I may stretch it to an hour and a half. She keeps barking, isn’t' that strange? And when I look out to see what's she's barking at, her head is directed toward the house.

I can only postulate she's barking at the sound of our voices. Just now when I noticed her barking, it so happens that Cranky was standing by the window talking.
I was talking to her outside just now and realized something. She’ll never see her mother again...just like me.

The breeder was explaining to me that her mother had rejected her after she (the mother) had her second litter of puppies. When he let them both outside together, little No-Name would run to her mother and try to be friends, but her mother would growl at her. I saw it myself.

So the best I can do is be a surrogate mother to her. Poor little girl--forced to grow up too fast; be a mother when she still wanted to be a puppy herself.

We'll see if those sentimental feelings make it any easier to clean up poop twice a day.

No comments: