Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 123 of Dog & planting time

What is this deal that she won't eat breakfast on weekends? We have a schedule--on weekdays they get put outside at five. When I get up at six-thirty I bring them in and feed them. Werewolf and Zack eat immediately but she usually waits until I leave. So that's the problem? My intrusive presence?

She's out the cage now and sitting beside me...so maybe it's not so simple as a change in routine. Maybe she's waiting for something better than dog food.

She's more patient than me. I'm putting her out with a bone so I can get to work (play) in the garden. Planting season!

Later.  I gave up on breakfast and just put them outside with a nice beef bone apiece. Then I got to work planting--finished the Swiss Chard, onions, lettuce and radishes; planted half of the beets; transplanted the rest of the broccolli (not looking good); and planted the parsley I'd been growing in a pot since winter. I would have planted the potatoes but (a) all the books said I needed to let them dry for a day or two after cutting them up, and (b) there were so few eyes on the four potatoes that came in my two-pound order, I thought I'd let them sit out for a few days and see if any more eyes appeared.

Then I tried to buy some more at Calloway's, but the table under the sign saying Kennebac potatoes held no potatoes. Just table.

I'll get some pics tomorrow--the lettuce and radishes I planted two weeks ago is up now.

No comments: