Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 147 need picture of potatoes--tomorrow, too dark now


It's tomorrow now, and here are my potatoes!

When I mentioned, "Beans are up," I didn't tell the whole picture. Some of the beans struggled up through the crusted over dirt. Then, I got out and broke up the hard crust by hand with a plastic cultivating tool. I gave it a stir in both beds--the potatoes and the beans--and then the next day, the beans were really up. You could say I gave them a helping hand. Or a helping cultivator tool, if you're being picky.

So now almost all of the potatoes are up. Of the two rows of beans, most of the first row survived and I only killed one plant. The second row isn't up yet but it's not due to a hard crust.

What I can't figure out is when, exactly, do I quit "moistening" the seedlings of Swiss Chard, beets, lettuce, radishes, and spinach? Sooner or later I have to switch to an infrequent and deep watering schedule. But right now, it seems so very, very dry on the surface!

While I was out there today, I found the most exciting thing! Out of almost a whole package of cauliflower seed I planted last fall, exactly one plant came up. I didn't need the space so I left it over winter, and...guess what?

No comments: