Saturday, September 21, 2013

A highly biased book review

                                              
                                        The Jane Austen Book Club
                                             by Karen Joy Fowler



It's like she took all of the things I hate about a Jane Austen book, recreated them in a modern setting, and buried them in boring backstory.  Nothing much happens in this book.  A couple of people break up; a couple of people hook up; but mostly they just sit around and talk about inconsequential things.  It was hard to like anyone but equally hard to hate anyone--I just didn't care.

Is it just me?  There's a certain missing depth factor in Austen, at least when I read it, and it's missing here, too.  Let me compare this book to The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  Both books have a small circle of friends who meet periodically.  In both books the friends support each other in times of need.  Both sets of friends travel the circumference of a sphere, starting at one point, spreading out into separate, curving lines, then ending up back together, at the opposite pole from where they started.  They end at a different point but it's still a point on the same surface.   Same world; same friends; same reality.

The difference is that in SOTTP the people live real lives in a real world and I, the reader, am right there with them.  I have to know how it ends.  I'm in there, sharing the pain, the joy, the worry and the quiet pride.

In this book, I was just a casual bystander.  Watching a made-for-TV movie. "Yeah, that was interesting.  I guess."

No comments: