Monday, September 30, 2013

Next late walk, I'll take the camera

Great walk tonight--doggies saw a raccoon and an armadillo!  I didn't know armadillos could run that fast.




Next up is book number 75

Fifteen by Beverly Cleary

In order to honestly review this book I need to time travel into 1973, when I was fifteen myself.  Turning to the wayback machine...

brrr...beep beep...nonny nonny boo....

Nope.  Still don't like it.

There were two good parts.  A passage near the end when she decided to quit trying to be someone she wasn't and just be herself.  Myself, me, Jane, is who I want to be!  I had to applaud.  I'd never seen that theme so well captured and followed through to a satisfying conclusion.

The second part wasn't exactly in the book, rather, it was in me.  The girl in the book reminded me of someone I once used to be.  I used to be the sort of girl who would rescue flies that a bratty little kid had trapped in snapdragons.  I haven't been that little girl in a long, long time...but once upon a time, I was.

No comments: