Friday, September 13, 2013

So now, I'm up to...

Number 70 on my 100 books, which sounds about right.  It's
                                                                    Down a Dark Hall
                                                                      by Lois Duncan

Creepy. Chilly. Cool!

I vote this book for "Most Likely To Spawn An Ongoing Story"...in the darkness of your pre-teen's bedroom, as she lies awake fighting off sleep, making up stories, spirits, and sequences to fill a fantasy world's dreams.

The pretext thrilled me (can't tell it for fear of spoilers.)  The execution annoyed me just a little--I think it should have been more personal in the characterizations.  I mean, like, the unbearably cute guy is just there, you know?   She says how cute he is and she says how she wants him to notice her, but you don't feel it.  Come on, I've been a teenager!  Nine-tenths of her waking hours would have been spent agonizing over him and plotting to get him alone.

All of the people are a little flat. If I'd read it as a teen, I'd have fixed that problem right away!  (in my mind!)

Recommended for under 15's especially. Not enough sex and violence for the older set, although they can always add it in their sequels.

No comments: