Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sorry to write it--it's truth to me--



After waiting nearly forever--a year that I'm sure of--I finally got to read Dog Tags Yapping: The World War II Letters of a Combat GI, by M. D. Elevitch.

It was exactly what it purported to be--and I was so disappointed.

Somehow I'd gotten it into my head that this was letters to and from more than one soldier.  The "dog tags" plural misled me.  But it's not--it's only one guy writing to the folks back home.  And it got very boring at times.

Best were the "We learned to kill" letter and the letters describing his actual combat experiences.  Those alone were almost worth the book.  But near the end, as he recovered from a lung injury and then waited to be shipped home, the letters got really shallow and repetitive.  I skimmed freely.

So I kind of liked parts of it but I can't really recommend it to a general audience.  If this is your cup-of-tea, you'll like it.

No comments: