Thursday, November 7, 2013

Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

Warning: spoilers below.
This quote that seems to define the book,

If I serve Thee in hopes of Paradise,
    Deny me Paradise.
If I serve Thee in fear of hell,
    Condemn me to hell.
But if I love Thee for love of Thyself,
    Then grant me Thyself.

I think this quote sums up the basic conflict in the hearts of all those who seek to know God.   But even if I'm wrong, it still makes you think.  The whole book does.

I came to the book as someone who'd read a great deal about the orders of contemplative nuns and The Rule, so nothing in the text shocked me or puzzled me--but I doubt if that would be true of many readers.  I wonder how strongly he borrowed from other works of fiction, especially In This House of Brede and The Nun's Story. But it's okay if he did.  It is NOT a rehash of the same questions they ask, not at all.  It asks a much more serious question.

(not telling what!)

No comments: