Saturday, November 2, 2013

She captures the castle; I do housework



I capture the castle
by Dodie Smith

Hard to describe, this is.  it's whimsical and poetic and it curls, ever-so-slowly in wispy rings, unfolding in the mind of a young woman growing up.  She doesn't know she's growing up, but you do--you watch in delight as she slowly gains understanding of her world, her family, and her place in it all.  Slow as it is, the story never drags--you're as excited by the events of her tiny little world as she is.  It's a masterpiece in a wide-open mind.

I listened to this instead of reading it and I believe that heightened my appreciation of it.  Since I only listen to books when driving, jogging, walking dogs or doing housework, I was forced to stretch it out over four or five days.  The slower pace was maddening, at times--I wanted to gulp it down in a sitting.

(Especially maddening when driving, because if a CD image on my IPod comes to an end, I can't switch to the next one until I hit a long stoplight.  And there were 12 CDs in this audiobook.  And the last one didn't show up in the playlist.)

So if you have a tendency to gulp books (binge, overindulge, or stay up all night reading with a flashlight under the covers), listen to the audiobook for this.  You'll enjoy it more.

One question--would very many men enjoy this story as much as I have? 


No comments: