Monday, April 7, 2014

Food of the Week is back!


Yesterday's food was
 
Bulghur.


Sounds to me like it's one of those slimy foods that peasants ate in the dark ages, probably with a little cabbage or dried peas in a thin soup. 

But I'm wrong--it's a cereal made from the groats of wheat, typically durum wheat.  A groat is a seed that's had the outer covering removed.  So they take these groats, which have the germ (embryo, if you will), and the bran (the inedible covering), and...I'm so confused!  If the groats still have the bran, what part did the hulling take off?

In any event, the bulghur you buy has been parboiled, dried, and coarsely ground.  It's high in protein and fiber, has a decent amount of iron and vitamin B-6, and little else except yummy complex carbs.  Remember the complex carb movement of the seventies when everyone was jamming on pasta?

On the other hand, since it's made from the same old wheat everything else is, it's subject to the same old problems of a modern-day slice of bread.  I won't be seeking it out.

But the stew it made--


The China Study Cookbook Recipe #17 is Zesty Bulghur Stew

Not nearly enough zest for me, but good!  Face it--anything that calls for garlic and onions, chickpeas, lentils, sweet potatoes and a grain, simmered in vegetable stock, is good.  I can't say that I could even taste the bulghur--it was just a thickener.  Quinoa or rice would have done as well.  But I'm eating it and smiling.

No comments: