Monday, April 28, 2014

Garden report tomorrow, stay tuned.

The China Study Cookbook recipes #19, 20, and 21--

                   African Vegetables


 Scrambed Tofu






 and Breakfast Burritos
 (no picture)

I cheated a little on the burritos--the book has two variations, one with potatoes and one with scrambled tofu.  I mixed the two fillings; skipped the cheese, and warmed then in the microwave when I got to work.  She's being a whole lot inconsistent when she has you sautee the onion in vegetable broth but then top the burrito with Daiwa.  The amount of fat in Daiwa is probably equivalent to that of a tablespoon of olive oil; Daiwa is a highly processed food; and it doesn't have any of the beneficial properties of extra-virgin olive oil.  It's just fat.

The burritos weren't at all bad but I don't see the point of the curry powder.  All it did was make them bitter.  I like the taste of tofu--why cover it up? You know what would have been better? Sauteed mushrooms!

About the African vegetables...I don't know what makes them "African", but I do think this may be the first non-dessert dish with cinnamon that I like!    I've tried cinnamon on meat dishes--mole, for example, and in tomato sauce a la Barbara Kingsolver--but I just couldn't take it.  The bossy flavor of cinnamon destroyed the mix.  Blame my western European palate.

But in this recipe I doubled the amount of cayenne pepper and halved the amount of cinnamon, seasoned it with 1-1/2 tsp of sea salt with sea flakes, and it turned out both spicy and warm.

Food of the Week:

Miso Paste

Fermented soybeans with salt and fungus. Maybe not as tasty as that sauerkraut I'm planning to make, but nicely microbial.  Got to get my bacteriums.




Oops--I just discovered that cooking the miso paste, as described in the recipe, destroyed all the living microorganisms.  Note to self:  don't cook the miso!

No comments: