Sunday, June 22, 2014

My education in how to disappoint your readers

              My Education
              by Susan Choi

It was awfully well written, only twice as long as it needed to be, and woefully from the heart. The sex was nicely steamy.  But I just didn't click with it.

Reminded me of Less Than Zero, chick version.  Girl with no ambition and even less experience in the world falls into wickedly obsessive love with older woman.  Older woman returns the feeling, or seems to, but maybe isn't willing to be anyone's one and only...then maybe she will...and so it goes.  People get hurt, people drink a lot, and people do all those foolish and hurtful things people do.   And they were all pretty pathetic in the end.

But that's not a spoiler, is it?  Pathetic to me--you might have cheered at the ending.  I can imagine my best friend loving this book, the ending especially.  People do grow up here...writing that makes me realize what annoyed me the most--the "growing up" part is skipped.  She fast forwarded all the years of finding herself and tidied it up with a pat ending.  She went from poor, hurting adolescent to well-adjusted adult in zero pages, flat.  What a cheater!

No comments: