Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Neil Gaiman book on my list was misshelved but

Buzzed through The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman.

I envy his imagination!  Think of stepping into a bucket of water with one foot, feeling the bottom of the bucket under your foot and the cold water soaking your pants leg.  Then stepping in with the second foot...and sinking into the ocean!  Not a cold, harsh ocean...a friendly one where your being becomes one with everything, scattered out into the stars....and beyond.

I probably didn't convey the image he intended, and I won't even attempt to describe the multitude of other mind-bending scenes of this short book.  I get the feeling I could re-read it and have an entirely different experience.  As to his Hempstock family, long may they live!  I hope he writes more stories featuring them.

No comments: