Sunday, June 29, 2014

Slow Sunday



Tracks by Louise Erdrich

Summary: I finished it just to finish it.  And that's not a good thing to say about a novel.

It's set in North Dakota during the days when the Indians were dying of white man's diseases, poisoned with white man's liquor, and slowly selling off their land or losing it for unpaid taxes.  There's nothing huge or dramatic in the story, just people you feel like you know telling the story of life.  I should have loved it, but....

How can such uniquely eccentric people undergoing funny, peculiar, and downright painful episodes of their intertwined lives, still produce a novel that I almost didn't finish?   I guess I stopped caring after a while.  Maybe it was me.  Probably it was me.

The best of it was the way legend enhanced life, especially at the beginning.  Later it was just happening.

No comments: