Thursday, August 7, 2014

What a time to be stationed in Hawaii!




The alien invasion is coming closer. 
Home:






 



                         








Just to keep the record straight, I finally cooked something.  The China Study Cookbook.recipe #23 is
Lentils and Greens.  Incredibly nutritious and it included my New Food Of The Week, Collard Greens.  I wish I could say I liked it, but the recipe had some issues.  First it had me boiling the lentils on medium high for 30 minutes, and boiling is a no-no with beans.  The pan ran dry and the lentils came out grainy, not creamy.


Then it had me shove the greens in on top of the beans and cook until wilted.  That is no way to treat a fresh green, any green!  Greens should be put into a hot pan with only a little cooking oil or liquid and then moved around until all the little leafies "touch" the heat and turn a bright, glorious emerald.  The way the recipe had me cook them, they were black and stringy.

Oddly enough, the taste is growing on me.  But the texture--fail!

No comments: