Thursday, May 25, 2017

Liked but did I loved?

Marathon Woman
Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
by Kathrine Switzer

This is one tough woman!  And a good memoir writer, too.  She wasn't afraid to talk of "women things" like periods or tears, either.  Describing the 1971 Boston Marathon:

The women at Wellesley at last were all I had hoped for, and more. In 1967 they were nonexistent, and in 1970, also a cold and miserable rain, they were scarce. Today they were out in force and went absolutely crazy when they saw me. For the first time, I felt the noise of their screaming bounce off my chest; the only time I'd felt that before was when I was a kid at a parade and felt the concussion of the big drums in the marching band. I was always proud of being a woman and I was proud enough of my running to need little outside affirmation, but the cheers of the Wellesley women made up for a lot of dark training nights. I felt my eyes sting with tears; I knew the cheers would sustain me for months.

Kathrine Switzer is, of course, famous as the woman who gate-crashed the 1967 all-male Boston Marathon, causing one of the race directors to attempt to forcibly eject her. She finished the race, too.  But I found out there were other women there and there had been others in previous races, and some of them also finished.  The difference is, they didn't wear a number.

She went on to win the 1974 New York City marathon with 3:07:59 and to chase the 3-minute mark with all her might.  She caught it--doing a 2:51:37 at Boston in 1975.  But soon her life filled up with organization and promotion; her hard training days were over but it seems her life had just begun.

So in addition to being a memoir, this is Ms. Switzer's tribute to all the women runners who paved the way.  She helped them immensely--she helped organize and promote so many marathons, mini-marathons that I fail to remember them all other than to mention a few--The New York marathon, the Crazylegs mini-marathon, the Avon races, what else?

As you've no doubt guessed, I enjoyed this a lot.  If you aren't interested in running, it might bore you--a little.  Only a little. Give it a shot and let me know.

No comments: