Monday, May 8, 2017

State of the Garden Report


The nights are still really cool, but the days are sunny and near cloudless.   It's 85 now and the day's not over yet. I'm going to need to water three times a week and my water bill will be painful.

I pulled up the snap peas.  They were hanging on and trying to flower, but it was clearly not their time. Still, I felt like a murderer.  So I planted Malabar spinach in their place.  I also threw a handful of six-year-old blackeye peas into the bed where the edamame was absolutely refusing to sprout.

I finally sacrificed a beet to see what was developing underneath. And the answer was...pretty much nothing.  I think I left them under the row cover too long and didn't water enough.  I'll leave the rest and see if beet magic happens.


Look what I discovered, peeping out underneath a tangle of tomato plant.  I'm scared to touch it or even look closer.  If the mama plant found out what was going to happen to her babies, she'd hide them better.  (Not that she was doing a bad job this time.)





No comments: