Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Aspiring to be a dirt farmer

Talking Dirt
The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening
by Annie Spiegelman

In the section on native plants she lists a European plant that is now considered invasive species in America. Huh?

But ignoring that minor boo-boo, this is an excellent little book of tips and tricks and a goodly number of plant variety suggestions. And this very useful warning, on pruning:

Even though it's tempting, don't prune during PMS or after a long wearisome phone call with or mother or immediately after a divorce. You'll regret your severe slashing and then you'll have more to sob about.  Put away the sharp objects and go get a pint of Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey instead.

I believe she's helped me with my quest for high nitrogen fertilizer to add to my compost pile. I was hoping to go pilfer from cow patties but then I got to reading about salmonella.  Apparently alfalfa meal can be obtained from feed stores in bags; soybean or cottonseed meal is better but both may be contaminated with pesticides.  Any of the above would be fine.

Looks like a trip to AgMart is in my near future.  And a recommendation--if you're just starting out in gardening this book will give you confidence and a whole heap of useful information.  And if you've been at it for a while, give it a whirl anyway.

No comments: