Monday, June 5, 2017

State of the Garden report, early June




Wet. After skipping around (and over and up and under) us for weeks, the rain finally settled in for a fine, deep drenching downpour. One of the pepper plants fell over--I'd left the peppers on it, hoping they'd go red, but they were too heavy on one side. I should have taken a picture, but here's four that I harvested to balance things out.




Oh, and the cucumbers pulled a fast one on me. I'd forgotten I planted 'Asian long cucumbers'.  So I got out there poking around and found this! 


I shrieked and cut it off immediately--you have to keep cucumbers picked young or they get old, yellow and bitter. But I was wrong. These are supposed to be long and they won't get bitter. In fact, I probably should have left this one on there a few more days.  But no matter--I have another.

These will make some great spicy Korean cucumber relish--if they survive my salad bowl. But I don't think I'll plant them again. They're awesome to look at but don't have much taste.  I'm going back to my old favorite "Miss Pickler" next time.

I harvested the rest of the onions. Theoretically.  It was too wet to dig up the whole patch so I just pulled out the ones that still had visible tops. I'll guarantee there's more hiding out there.  In fact, even after I dig up the whole bed and replant it with a cover crop, an onion or two will show up this fall. I always miss one.










These guys stop tracking the sun when the flower heads open. So far, these are all pointing to the East. Sun-worshipers!


No comments: