Monday, June 26, 2017

State of the Garden Report, end of June

Before I get to the bugs, I must exclaim--

Pretty pepper! 
I don't know that I've ever seen one get ripe on one side first, but then, I'm not usually patient enough to let them get ripe at all.  As usual, I have no idea what variety it is, and it tastes wonderful.

We had an surprising arrival on Friday night--rain. Rain and plenty of it. For the last few years I've been out watering the little trees by this time--which meant we'd had six weeks or more of high temps and drought.  This year, I've not watered yet.

When I lived in the city and didn't garden, rain was just an idle thought. "Oh, shoot--it's raining." At best it was a break from the monotony of sunny+hot+dry that rules the North Texas summer; hail, thunder and lighting were an especially welcome distraction; fifty-mile-per-hour winds a bit of a scare. But watching the weather was something old people did--not me.

Now I'm not only watching it but I'm anticipating it, gabbing about it, and even writing about it without embarrassment. (Well...not much)  But I doubt that it's my readers' main preoccupation, so I'll drop the subject for now. No more mention of weather until I need to bitch and moan about the summer drought.

So I tried my hand at photographing pests in the garden. Most were on hiatus, but I did get this:






He's really quite gorgeous, isn't he?  Evil, bean-eating beast, but gorgeous.










And this dude who really loves hanging out on my tomatoes.  And not the plants--the fruit. Is he an evil sweet-sucking crop-spoiling fruit bat wannabe, or a helpful ally against some small enemy I can't see? 









He's a friend, best I can tell. I'm guessing some variety of assassin bug. I'm told they give a painful bite if you mess with them, but I'd just as soon not find our for myself.














After The Harvest --
My compost bucket, loaded with beet tops and probably a bug or two, under close scrutiny.  Most of the contents will be scattered over the kitchen floor in a couple of hours.






No comments: