Sunday, June 11, 2017

Short and forgettable I fear

Woman's Best Friend
Women writers on the dogs in their lives
edited by Megan McMorris

A collection of short epistles on dogs, by women.  Some I liked pretty much, like Running With Trout by Sarah Corbett, on Dog as running partner, motivator and role model.  Leaving our Chains by Susan T. Lennon is a story of how she adopted a dog, left a corporate, high-stress job and learned that just as the dog didn't need collars and chains to be a loyal and happy companion, neither did she.

But in general, I think I'll steer clear of short collections by varied authors in the future. I can't be sure--well, I could probably be sure but I'm too lazy to research--but I think these people were asked to contribute an article for the collection and then their offerings were taken as is, without discernment. It reminded me of Alone In the Kitchen With an Eggplant--short, bland, and quickly digested, like a puffy roll. Tastes great but doesn't stick in the stomach like my mama's Sunday morning biscuits did.

No comments: