Wednesday, October 2, 2019


Cooking Aboard Your RV
by Janet Groene

This is a nice little book and I learned some stuff from it about convection oven cooking, but I wouldn't suggest buying it without taking a quick look first. I checked it out of the library, flipped through, and am now ready to take it back.

My problem was that there wasn't enough information about anything. It touched on topics briefly, but very briefly. If you're an absolute newby in RV living and if you don't know your way around any kind of kitchen at all, try it. For me, however, there was very little I didn't already know. And some things that were awfully irritating.
Examples:
Use diced fennel root as part of the celery measurement in chicken salad sandwich filling.
Who in the world has diced fennel root in an RV?

Plastic measuring cups do nothing but measure. instead, get stainless steel measuring cups, which can also be used for melting butter or heating syrup on a burner set on low.
Me: I melt butter in plastic measuring cups in the microwave all the time, and, a tippy little stainless steel cup holding melting butter or syrup on a gas burner is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Her fish stew recipe with 11 ingredients, including four tin cans, an onion and a bell pepper that have to be diced, fresh parsley to chop, and fish fillets to thaw.
Me: How is this fast or convenient? (as the back cover proclaims)

The minestrone has 5 cans to open...I hope she's camped near a dumpster.

Make a zesty vegetarian pizza by toasting English muffins.... or worse, flour tortillas.
Me: Sorry, that's not pizza.

On the other hand, I kind of like her chicken and dumplings recipe. If you've just hit the farmer's market in spring, you could grab an onion, some carrots, garlic, celery and peas, and whip up a halfway good version with things you'd be likely to have in your RV pantry--chicken bouillon and biscuit mix. Except I currently have neither of those...I should add them.
So her book did teach me something.

No comments: