Saturday, October 5, 2019

Gardening in my Roots, time begins

No, not quite. It's still 90-plus degrees outside.  But weekend before last I dug the grass roots out of the bed that's going to be "fallow" next spring, then I hit Tractor Supply for turnip seed. Incidentally, I came back with beet seed, bunching onion seed, AND turnip seed. 

After that I sorted through my leftover seed packets and found radishes, carrots, daikon radishes, and lettuce. And after all that, I did nothing.

As I mentioned, it was still 90-plus degrees outside. Last weekend, more like 95-plus. I just couldn't imagine seeds sprouting in this weather. And did I mention that it hasn't rained since mid-August?

The weekend after that, which would be the end of September, I planted them all and covered this with an improvised "shade screen" made of plastic tubing and a couple of old sheets, all held together with safety pins.  And now I water, and wait.



No comments: