Friday, October 4, 2019

Great thriller-ish mystery

Fractured Truth
by Susan Furlong

Darn--I forgot to write about this as soon as I'd finished it. I get fuzzy on the details if I wait too long. Too late now--here's what I remember.

I loved it. I hated the story--poverty and prejudice and cockfighting and murder--but I'm fascinated with the characters she is creating. Or maybe not creating--maybe she's just pulling them from real life. Wow. She's that good.

My gut feeling about the series is that even a male person could enjoy it. (Hint, hint.) The actual detecting she does is a little sloppy: hit-and-miss you might almost say. But the parts on cadaver dog work are pretty good although it doesn't what I've read about  how sheriff's departments interact with dog search and rescue teams. Typically the team is a "team" of one or more dogs, a handler, and a communications person. It seems odd that the sheriff would keep her on staff. And I thought it odd that she never mentioned the training refreshment exercises that dog handlers typically do, almost constantly. But then she finally did--so, clearly, she's done some research.

This is the last book in the series for now. So I will have to wait and hope it won't be long for another.

No comments: