Thursday, October 10, 2019

Sprighly old ladies make the show

The Plot is Murder
by V. M. Burns

At first it was really good...and then I got bored. The "main" mystery was okay, but I disliked the side story of the mystery novel that the main character is writing--she made it a little rough and unpolished (I think she did that on purpose) like the first draft it was supposed to be. But its tepid romance between its boring, shallow characters started to get me down. I'd probably have liked the book better if I'd quit reading those chapters and stuck with the good stuff.

And good it was!  I couldn't always follow the plot--the alternating suspicions of confusing characters--Clayton Parker, David Parker, Robert Parker, Diana Parker, Uncle George (was he a Parker?)--lost me frequently. But the side characters, Nana Jo and her friends from the retirement home, were funny and fun.

I wonder--now that the baby boomers are aging, will we see a series where the spry old ladies from the retirement home aren't just the amusing sidekicks, but rather the stars of the show? I'd read it!

No comments: