Thursday, May 7, 2020

Be prepared for a string of K-9 capers

Before it's too late by Sara Driscoll

Reminder to self:
In this powerful K-9 crime thriller, FBI Special Agent Meg Jennings and her trusted search-and-rescue Labrador, Hawk, must race against the clock before a diabolical killer strikes again 

In my imaginary line between mystery and thriller, I'd put this squarely on the thriller side. Not in a bad, scary way, the way I did with Sara Paretsky's novels after my first two or three, and eventually gave up reading. But in a "wish she hadn't done that" sort of way. Her killer was never portrayed in first person, which I greatly appreciated. But his history left a little too little to the imagination.

Also the--oops. I can't say the other thing that bothered me. But nothing was too much over the line for me not to immediately seek out the next book in the series. Just like the first book in her series, this had great action; plenty of super dog heroics; very erudite mystery and believable deduction; and no coincidences. Also the cops, or rather FBI agents, aren't dopes. That part was kind of the best part. A lot of writers will create great stars like Meg Jennings (FBI Special Agent) and K-9 special operative (Hawk) and pit them against their own management team, but she doesn't. There's conflict, but it's believable.

No comments: