Thursday, May 14, 2020

Travel and adventure and...darn

Northland
by Porter Fox

I'm not sure this lived up to the blurb on the cover, but at first, it was a very good travel narrative. A little natural history but not nearly as much as I desired. A good bit of human history mixed in with his day-to-day adventures.

Oddly, toward the end I felt unmotivated to continue. That might have been the result of his lengthy pause of the journey (not in time but in narrative) to write  in great detail (and with great feeling) about the current situation of the American Indians along the western border with Canada. Current events is fascinating and can make up a whole book by itself, but it wasn't what I signed up for and didn't flow well with what I'd been reading for the first half of the book.

Sometimes a writer has to follow his heart. I get that. But it disappointed.

No comments: