Saturday, May 16, 2020

Not perfect but plenty for a few evening's entertainment

Tracking Game
by Margaret Mizushima

I'm reading these Timber Creek K-9 Mysteries out of order because the library only has the most recent ones in ebook versions. But they're opening back up this week and I'll be picking up #1 in the series today.

The dog is pretty great. So great that I wonder if Ms. Mizushima is stretching the bounds of known dog abilities a little bit in the things he can do. But dogs can do all sorts of things you'd never believe, so I'll let it slide. I do, however, think her detective is a little to fast to fire the "dog gun" if you know what I mean.  She should use her dog as a weapon of last resort. But that's my opinion and I'll allow you to disagree.

I'm greatly enjoying my string of superdog detective novels, but what I'd really like to find is one written by a man. Just to see how he'd approach it. Idle curiosity--the devil finds work....  Possibly what I'm looking for is great action, great human anguish and dog-rescues-person stories, and NO weepy self pity in a heroine. Or hero, whatever.

And the reason I bring this up is that there are two things keeping me from adoring this series and screaming for the next one--one, the detective Mattie Cobb gets a surprising amount of respect from the bad guys, more than I suspect any woman cop would; and two, she keeps diverting her thoughts into maudlin self pity and longing for the handsome veterinarian she's dating. it's like, "Oh, will I ever be able to let myself open up to him?" and "Would he ever get over my tragic past?" and "oh, sob sob misery...."  It really gets on my nerves. Thank heavens I'm reading this, not listening to the audiobook. That would be supremely annoying.

No comments: