Friday, May 1, 2020

Warning: I'm on a streak of search-and-rescue dog stories

Lone Wolf by Sara Driscoll

Liked it enough to want to read another, but there were so many things I wanted her to do better. The action was fine. The searches were great. The personal relationships and character development were pretty interesting and I hope she continues with the same people and I get to know them better over time.

But (spoiler warning I think), there was a certain shift of perspective that I found cheesy and annoying. Not that I didn't care to learn what the killer was thinking, but not by seeing him and hearing him. It was much more interesting to learn about his personality from how he wrote and how he built the bombs, and the author could have confirmed all these guesses near the end as his identity was uncovered. In this case, show don't tell was a mistake.

No comments: