Sunday, December 20, 2020

A quick entertainment and a slow serious

Enforcing the Paw
by Diane Kelly

Still very formula; still entertaining. This time I just skipped every third chapter where the bad guy tells the story from his perspective. I didn't miss anything important that way, and I didn't have to listen to his stupid.


We Are the Luckiest
The Surprising Magic of a Sober Life

by Laura McKowen

She really has a knack for writing truth. It's painful sometimes, to read, when she's describing her own personal story. But the truth is obvious even if we don't want to admit it.
1. There is no hard line between "normal" drinkers and "problem" drinkers.
2. All so-called problem drinkers started out as normal drinkers.
3. The label "alcoholic" is meaningless. It's used either to apologize for a choice that shouldn't need to be apologized for (sorry; I can't drink because I have a self-control problem) or else to excuse a problem behavior (Yeah, I fall down drunk at parties but that's okay because I'm not an alcoholic).
4. There's a whole lot of alcohol in our society. Start noticing and you'll see it everywhere. More even than bacon. Or cookies.

Very good book. Very sad society in which we live. My gut feeling is that there are a whole lot of people out there who have a problem. It's not something we talk about. But we ought to.




No comments: