Thursday, December 17, 2020

Gardening in my Roots, mid-December

(written Dec 11)
We've had a string of unseasonably warm days--low seventies in the afternoon--so I determined to get my garden in order. You can't tell it from the picture here, but I can--the five rows are staked out evenly, all five feet wide by 29 feet long with a one-foot trench between them. They are supposed to be 30 feet long, but I put the stakes in at 30' and started digging the trenches without thinking that in order to get the full 30' of garden space, I needed to dig outside the line of stakes.


But I don't care. It's beautiful. After I finished I dug and hauled about six wheelbarrow loads of compost that had been making for the last couple of years. Also I pulled up all the roots that I dug out and filled up three new compost piles. My compost piles are circles of screen wire placed on the ground. I've not been good at "layering" the greens and browns to make a scientifically precise mixture; nor do I ever get around to turning them. I just let the grass clumps, vegetable stalks, and food scraps rot in a loose pile for a couple of years.

Given enough time, they turn into crumbly black gold.

No comments: