Saturday, December 19, 2020

Freakishing weird memoir

The Glass Castle

by Jeannette Walls


I listened to this on audiobook, and frequently kept on listening after my designated activity (jogging, dishwashing, folding laundry) was over. It was just that hard to stop.

So I can't say something bad about a book that encouraged me to catch up on the mindlessly boring tasks of everyday life. And I won't--but oh, how much I wanted some well-meaning adult to step in and take the kids away from their fruitcake parents. Two people with classic cases if narcissistic personality disorder and maybe a touch of schizophrenia got married and had four kids, then left them to raise themselves. It made strong people out of the kids--but only because they banded together and took care of each other.

Their life adventures were amusing when they weren't scary as hell or sick as heck. The author starts off with a tale of being badly burned because she was cooking hot dogs for herself in a pan of boiling water, alone in the kitchen. She was three years old at the time.


No comments: