Saturday, June 5, 2021

Dear Mr. Magoo. No, who?

 Dear Bob And Sue by Matt Smith


It's taken me several months to listen to this. It's not that long, but my listening kept being interrupted by trips of my own. Twice it's gotten automatically returned to the library, and once of those times it was borrowed by another patron and I had to wait for it to come back.

My persistence in finishing it despite the interruptions tells you something. It was enjoyable, and after hearing about the first twenty or thirty National Parks, I really wanted to hear them all. And it got better as it went along.

At first I was so put off by the couple's snarky descriptions of each other that I seriously considered quitting. Each seemed to be determined to use the letters to bitch about their partner--he was an over-packer; she wouldn't even pack sunscreen. She had an irrational hatred of squirrels and pretty much all of nature's small wonders--why was she even venturing outside? He was incapable of shrugging off fellow traveler's idiocies. They seemed to be going places just to stay at cheap lodging (and complain about it), eat bad pizza, and drink beer.

I put up with this for several hours at least, but then when they finally started getting out into the wonder of the world, especially toward the end, they started writing about beauty and awesomeness and sp;ashing through rivers and close encounters with grumpy bighorn sheep--

It got good. Very good, especially in the final adventures. And despite all their picking on each other, I grew to like them.


No comments: