Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Harrowing tale of anorexia and much more

Elena Vanishing
by Elena and Clare B Dunkle

The spoon on the cover tells it all. It's a book about eating and not eating...but not really. While anorexia is the central part of the picture, there's a lot more going on in the mind of a truly messed up young girl.

The book is harrowing but worth the pain it caused me, and anyway, once I got started I couldn't stop. There was no way I wasn't going to follow it through to the end, no matter how bad it might be.

I wished she'd written more in the last few chapters, although I suspect she might have been forced to trim it back in order to make it suitable for the YA book market. Publishers seem to think YA books have to fit a certain length and can't exceed it. But I think they're learning that's not necessarily so.  But some of the therapy sessions and the ways she'd learned to deal with her own evil inner critic would have been very interesting. She had a voice in her head like Jared, the evil demon of Bryony Gordon, constantly nagging on her faults, insecurities, and pain. how do you learn to shut your own, worst inner critic down?

No comments: