Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Mammoth goes back to White Flint Park on Belton Lake

Thursday 5/13

Possibly I have unrealistic expectations. Just as I'm sitting around complaining (to myself) that I'm tired of going to places I've already been where there aren't any birds, I see a lesser goldfinch in the brush by the lake. Way out of its range for the time of year. Earlier a couple of geese took off. And just now a large bird exited the water's edge. I didn't get a great look but I suspect it was a Caracara.

So there are always birds. Truth is, I'm tired of going places I've already been and didn't love all that much the first time. There is a good place to take a walk here, down to the boat ramp and around the tent camping area, but nothing spectacular. Maybe I'll walk out that way again later and try to see the little falcons.

I have a second chance to actually enjoy my time, and I need to take it.

Later we pulled up camp and loaded the Mammoth for the two-hour drive to White Flint campground on Belton Lake. Only because our favorite, Cedar Ridge, was completely booked up for the weekend. But I saw birds--

Cuckoo--very good view, could see the yellow bill. Hummingbird. Something like a spotted sandpiper by the water, but not in breeding plumage, Bunches of black-headed gulls in the water...Bonaparte's???  What are they doing there now?

Friday 5/14

I can no longer boast I haven't had a doughnut in forever. Ed and I went to Shipleys' for a true camping breakfast and I got a Kolache (not worth it) and a chocolate cake donut. Really not worth it. A Hostess cupcake would have been better.


No comments: