Thursday, June 3, 2021

Mammoth at White Flint Park, and return

Here's my review of White Flint Park:

The RV sites are roomy and the covered picnic tables would easily seat eight. The surface underfoot is hard-packed, pea-sized gravel. In a heavy rainstorm our picnic table area became a lake, but heavy rain is unusual for this area. The 50-amp electric is reliable and the water (at each site) clean and convenient. The parking surface was fairly level gravel and the sites plenty long for our 32' RV plus toad and an extra parking spot for a guest. Great place to bring a boat.

The only faults I would give this campground are the road noise and the layout. The road noise from the Highway 36 bridge across the lake is constant, even at night. And the layout is peculiar--the camping loop winds around the lake shore, but there are screened shelters on the lake side of the road. The RV sites are on the other side, blocked from the lake view by the shelters. The RV sites are back-in and placed such that the door opens to the picnic table, with no view of the lake at all; the opposite side (hookups) looks out toward the lake.

The campground was crowded on the May weekend we were there but not especially noisy. People were mostly quiet, older couples or fishermen with boats. The campground host came by to greet us and answer any questions we might have. She was very pleasant. There was no attendant at the gate but we got a gate code in an email shortly after making the reservation.


Sunday 5/16 and Monday 5/17, return home

We had a boring and almost horrible day Saturday. We went to a farmer's market that had no farmers and it took two stops to find it. Then to a massive estate liquidation sale that had no furniture; then to Edward's. And there we sat. Eventually we all went shopping--Filipino grocery, O-Mart, then Walmart. Boring as heck.

Then we sat around for a while until I induced him to go ahead and order the pizza, estimating that it would be seven-thirty before we even started eating.  Which came close to being true.

On Sunday I made this note:
I personally am sick and tired of this trip. Always doing things I don't want to do and never doing anything I want to do. Blah!  I'll go for a jog in a minute and then get a little while to do work while Ed is at church. Not that I particularly want to do work, but it's been nagging at me.

Here is a quote from last spring:
And now I was losing yet another April, May and June of the last good years of my life
This was written after I decided to work an additional three months, due to the stock market crash. And this winter, when vaccination progress was reported and that idiot was voted out of office and we knew life would be getting better, I thought those days were over. But now I've lost another April and am on the way to losing May. I will not let June escape me!


Happy to say, all that bellyaching did some good. When Mammoth brought me home, I made a list of the big picture items I wanted to accomplish this year, and started working on them. Next post will be positive, I promise!



No comments: