Thursday, June 24, 2021

Gardening in my Roots, end of June

 

We interrupt this presentation for a garden report:

 

 

 

 

 

 

Good! A first carrot harvest; more to come. 

 

 

 

Sadly, they're not real tasty. I was warned that carrots, like most cool-weather crops, are not very sweet if you leave them until June. I need to get them started earlier next year. 

 

The beet harvest turned out much better than expected. If you consider that the farmer's market probably charges about $3 for a bundle of four beets, then I clearly harvested about four of five dollars worth today. They were mostly small, but tasty. I have two different varieties planted and I don't know which is which--one is smaller, with dark red-green leaves; the other has bright green leaves and is much larger. But the one of the bright green variety I harvested last week had no flavor. Today's were the dark variety, and they tasted just fine.

I also found a rogue cucumber growing where I didn't plant any. But I did have cucumbers in that spot last year--Suyo Long. But this looks more like the other variety I had, Straight Eight. We will see. If either of those were hybrids, then it's very possible that this cucumber will taste horrible, being a throwback to one of the hybrid variety's parents. We will see...if no horrible varmint steals it off the vine before it's ready.

 First purple hull peas are coming in.




No comments: