Monday, July 19, 2021

Doing our parental duties

 Tuesday 6/29

In the morning we went to all kind of places looking for valve extenders so Ed could air up an RV inner tire, which had gone flat at some point during the last week (We think that most likely it happened when he checked and aired the tires a few days before the trip.) The set we ended up with cost ninety-one dollars. I hope it's worth it--but, if it works, it is.

We're getting to know the whole of Temple and Belton really well--we've driven all the back roads and major roads so many times in search of so much junk. Time before last, it was sleeping mats for the kids. After that it was used furniture. And other stuff. And now this.

After the shopping and much later--it was well after noon--I got in a long and very slow jog with Molly. We went to the boat ramp on the other side of the park. She got a quick swim and I got sprinkled with the aftershake, then we jogged back. But the stopwatch only had 50 minutes on it, so I dropped her off and squeezed out the additional ten.

Then showers and a bit of lunch and we finally arrived at the house at 4:30-ish. Edward didn't return from work until nearly six, so we didn't take the dressers upstairs or do any of the bed assembly. The kids needed to eat and he chose Texas Roadhouse.

The wait wasn't long, for them, but the weekday crowd was beginning ot thin out by the time we were seated. Since we had the dogs along (the sun was going down and all of the rain--forgot to mention that--had cooled down the outdoors), I was able to avoid most of the pre-meal waiting aroundby going out to walk the dogs. By the time I circled the parking lots a few times, the sun was well down and the main course had arrived.

Good planning for someone who needed to cut down on eating. I had a salad and some steamed brocolli and carrots, plus one of the three catfish fillets in my order. It was good and I came away feeling not too stuffed. Plus I'd completely cancelled out the overindulgence of the day before, leaving my calorie counter flat for the week so far. But, of course, the week's not over yet.

Wednesday

Slow day. The tire appears to be holding air--so far, so good. Molly and I took a short jog, just fifty minutes, with binoculars. Orchard oriole singing his heart out in a tree. So the bird list for the trip (not that I'm counting) is:

Turkey Vulture, Black Vulture, Mockingbird, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Titmouse, Canyon Wren, Orchard Oriole, House Sparrow, Barn Swallow, Purple Martin, Swallows of unknown species, Great Blue Heron, Green Heron, Some small herons this morning, probably Blue Heron. Great-tailed Grackle.


I farted around until three o'clock, then we headed over to finish moving Edward's furniture. I mostly sat outside and babysat the dogs which Ed took down the stair gate, moved the mattresses and small dresser upstairs, and hooked up the mirrors. As expected Edward didn't return until after five-thirty, so they finished the job together. And then we ate.


And then--somehow--we didn't return home until ten o'clock. Sucked.


Thursday 7/1/2021

It's over; we've accomplished our mission; done out dutifuls. Time to go home. I'd be in more of a hurry if it wasn't so godawful pretty here. But it's also turning off hot, so it's time we skedaddled to a place where the air conditioner actually works.

Occurred to me during the drive--this is the first anniversary of my last working day. So tomorrow is the first anniversary of my retirement. Cool!

No comments: