Friday, July 23, 2021

YA Fantasy, good but not good, followed by a great YA coming of age novel


Stepsister
by Jennifer Donnelly

A little ways into this I was hooked, and on the way to pronouncing it the best teen fantasy ever. That was a little over the top for me, since i don't read all that much teen fantasy, but that's how I was feeling. But I soon lost my enthusiasm. It wasn't that it got bad, or boring, or anything particularly annoying to turn me off. It just went on.

So all in all, very enjoyable. Or as Nero Wolfe would say, satisfactory. And it would make a pretty good movie, too.

One thing to quibble on--the editor needed to remind the author about the need to show don't tell. Especially toward the end. She went off into irritating editorial comments to make the point about female empowerment. And again. And again. Ick.

Artichoke's Heart

by Suzanne Supplee




Like wow. Smashing little story of a teenager who managed a good bit of weight loss and at the same time, a whole lot of confidence building. Not to mention friendship skills and worth ethic. But in spite of all that, it's a great book.



No comments: