Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Pfishing, Fishing, Pishing and Punning

Art of Pishing: How to Attract Birds by Mimicking Their Calls [with Audio CD]
by Pete Dunne

I should not venture to review this book until I've successfully lured a bird or two with pishing. I can tell you this, after listening to the start of the CD--

I've been doing it all wrong.

I saw a little video years ago on allaboutbirds.org, the best web site ever created except possibly ebird.org, and it had a couple of people attracting warblers in the north-eastern woods by pishing. But the video disappeared and I've never been able to recover it.

So all I had to go on was verbal descriptions that involved "kissing the fingers with the lips and adding an 'eee' at the end." It never worked. I've tried attracting birds by imitating their calls, but the birds just chuckle at the noise and ignore me.

So my Who Cooks For You? sounds too human to  be believable; I've never heard an eastern screech owl; and my scoldy noise seems to repeal more wildlife than it attracts.

So if this book does the trick, I'll give it a hundred stars. We will see.

Meanwhile just let me mention that it's as informative, chatty, and funny as all of Pete Dunne's books. Love them all!

No comments: