Friday, July 30, 2021

Gardening Roots, late July

The garden is winding down for the summer. Most of the tomatoes that I'm going to get have already fruited, ripened, and turned rotten on my counter. The potatoes are harvested--I don't remember what I paid for seed potatoes, but it was certainly not worth it--and the sunflowers are pretty much ready to harvest. I'm just giving the seeds a few extra days to "fatten up."


All the cool weather crops were finished and harvested months ago--beets, very tasty but not half as many as I hoped for; lettuce, radishes, carrots and bok choi. Garlic did very well and I've already got an order in for next year. I'm going to save a few cloves from the harvest to replant, too. My onion crop did not do well and I have no idea why not. Usually onions are pushing up out of the ground when their tops start to die and fall over--mine just died. Weird.

I had some excellent bok choy but no broccoli at all. The Swiss Chard is withering in the Texas heat and I'm not strong-willed enough to sacrifice it. Maybe it will survive the summer and make a fall crop.

My squash (butternut) didn't produce but it's still trying. I have a couple of canteloupe out there which might survive to be eaten. I have to fight the raccoons over those.

As to beans--I had a lovely crop of peas but they weren't in the ground early enough to really produce before the weather turned warm. The green beans were magnificent, but have been finished for a month. I just haven't had the heart to

pull them up and compost them. The black-eyed peas, after being replanted on account of the frost, did excellently well. But they're just about finished too.

No comments: