Friday, December 31, 2021

Back to the book reviews

 Up to this Pointe
by Jennifer Longo

What a oddly appealing author she is! I loved this book, a YA about an aspiring ballerina whose life is a PLAN...until she ends up in Antarctica for the winter. Like her book What I Carry, the format is experimental. In that one the story was told through flashback descriptions of how the foster girl acquired each of the items in her collection of stuff; in this one it's told in alternating parallel time sequences. One is then--before Antarctica; one is now--during.

I was dubious about the approach at first, and mildly annoyed when a new chapter came and the context switched. But as I got into the story--stories--I grew to like it.

I dare not tell any more. Just that the main character was a person I could identify with and grow to love; her friends and family and mentor at the research station were also my best friends; I adored every bit of it. And cried (metaphorically) a little at the sad parts.

No comments: